WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This intermediate level program is designed for the following who want to learn how to solve unusual challenges that occur during probate:
- Trust officers
Never Again Be Caught Off Guard by the Unexpected in Your Probate Practice
This one-day seminar will provide insights and solutions forspecialized probate situations you may not deal with every day. Learnhow to determine the best course of action when confronted with unusualchallenges so you can carry out your client's wishes. Our faculty willshare situations they've encountered, and prepare you to troubleshooteffectively. Join us today!
- Neutralize negative challenges involving personal representatives – including resignation, removal or death.
- Locate and validate hard-to-find and obscure types of beneficiaries without wasting time and resources.
- Prevent assets from being distributed under the table: separate heirs' personal property from that of the estate.
- Receive practical instructions on how to complete tax returns associated with probate.
- Distribute the estate fairly – even in unusual circumstances – while honoring the decedent's wishes.
- Avoid mistakes – learn what not to do in probate litigation.
- Learn how to act – not react – in unexpected situations.
- Discuss your unusual and challenging situations at our roundtable forum.
- TACKLE PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVE CHALLENGES GRACEFULLY
9:00 - 9:45 Written and presented by Brant A. Bailey in Fort Myers, Orlando and Tampa.
- Pitfalls in Appointment and Authority of a Personal Representative
- Problems the Removal of a Personal Representative Can Trigger
- Your First Step After a Personal Representative Resigns
- Minimize the Adverse Effects of Disability or Death of a Personal Representative
- Handle the Logistics of Dealing With Out of State Personal Representatives
- How to Control the Wayward Personal Representative
- DETERMINE RIGHTFUL HEIRS OR BENEFICIARIES
9:45 - 10:30 Written and presented by Brant A. Bailey in Fort Myers, Orlando and Tampa.
- Determine Mystery Heirs or Beneficiaries More Easily
- What You Might Uncover When Proving Kinship
- What to Do About Obscure Types of Beneficiaries
- When the Family is Unhappy – How to Handle Controversies
- Dealing With Unknown Heirs or Beneficiaries
- What if Heirs or Beneficiaries Cannot Be Found?
- The Rules Governing the Presumed Death of Someone Missing for Five Years
- The Effects of Lapse and Void Benefits
- HANDLING ASSETS OF THE ESTATE AND FILING TAXES
10:45- 11:30 Written by T. Scott Tufts. Presented by William M. Burke inFort Myers, T. Scott Tufts in Orlando and Harley S. Herman in Tampa.
- Know When Special Administration is Needed
- Is it Part of the Probate Estate or Does it Belong to the Heirs or Beneficiaries?
- Practical Tips for Collecting and Safeguarding Assets
- Handling Exceptions to Inventory or an Account
- Surprises in the Ownership of Closely Held Businesses
- After-Found Property - Questions Often Raised
- How to Prepare the Federal Estate Tax Return – Step-by-Step
- Fiduciary Income Tax Return Preparation
- OVERCOMING LIABILITIES CHALLENGES AND MANAGING DISTRIBUTIONS
11:30- 12:15 Written by Jeffrey S. Goethe. Presented by William M. Burke inFort Myers, Keith J. Hesse in Orlando and Jeffrey S. Goethe in Tampa.
- The Difficulties Creditor Notices Create
- Difficult Creditor Negotiations
- Statutes of Limitations – a Possible Disaster
- The Insolvent Estate: How to Recover the Realty to Satisfy its Creditors
- What to Do When Beneficiaries are Minors Who Cannot Pay the Mortgage
- Predict Lender Workouts, Sale Problems and Beneficiary Problems
- Post-Judgment/Discharge Matters and Assets – Demystified
- ADDRESSING PERPLEXING ETHICAL ISSUES
1:15- 2:05 Written by Patrick M. Magill. Presented by Jerald J. Chlipala inFort Myers, Patrick M. Magill in Orlando and Jeffrey S. Goethe inTampa.
- When the Client's Diminished Capacity Becomes Apparent
- Identify the Client - the First Step to Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Privileged vs. Non-Privileged Communication: What Can Happen If You Don't Know the Difference
- Your Obligation to Keep the Client Informed
- How to Make Notice Rights a Non-Issue
- PROBATE LITIGATION
2:05- 3:00 Written by Keith J. Hesse. Presented by Kenneth K. Thompson inFort Myers, Keith J. Hesse in Orlando and Harley S. Herman in Tampa.
- Probate Discovery
- What Not to Do in Probate Litigation
- Probate Litigation Issues
- Will Contests
- Multiple Wills
- Court Interpretation of Will Provisions
- Creditor Claims
- Disputes Between Beneficiaries and Personal Representatives
- Appeals Process Detailed
- SOLUTIONS TO SPECIAL ISSUES: ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION
3:15- 4:30 Written by Jeffrey S. Goethe. Presented by Kenneth K. Thompsonin Fort Myers, Patrick M. Magill in Orlando and Jeffrey S. Goethe inTampa.
- The Need for Extreme Care in the Correction of Errors
- Strategies for Avoiding Ancillary Probate
- Continuing the Business of the Decedent – Roadblocks Along the Way
- Where Asset Protection Planning Can Fall Short
- Problems With Real Estate Titles and Leases That Can Come Out of the Blue
- Multiple Probate
- Differences Between Jurisdictions – What To Look Out For
- Wills and the Rights of People in Civil Unions
- Share Your Techniques for Making Probate Procedure More Efficient
TIMESCheck-in: 8:30-9:00 a.m.
Start: 9:00 a.m.
Adjourn: 4:30 p.m.
2225 North Lois Avenue
Tampa , FL
Hotel Phone: *813-877-6688
*Directions & Parking: to obtain directions and parking information, please contact the facility listed above.
$319 each additional registrant
Pleasenote that lunch and parking expenses are not included. Contact thefacility directly for more details. Complimentary refreshments and alight snack will be provided.
For More Information Click Here